WR Percy Harvin Tells the Bills He’s Retiring

It appears the back and forth of if Percy Harvin will play again has been decided, as Adam Schefter of ESPN reports the wide out has told the Bills he won’t be back in 2016 and is walking away.

He started fast last season, but wound up with just 19 receptions for 218 yards before hip and knee injuries put him on the shelf in October. The Bills later placed Harvin on injured reserve.

Bills Restructure the Contract for DB Corey Graham to Free Up Cap Space

Corey Graham

The Bills have restructured defensive back Corey Graham’s contract in a continuing push to free up space under their salary cap before the start of the NFL’s free-agency signing period next week, the Associated Press reports.

The team announced the move on its Twitter account on Thursday.

Graham is a nine-year veteran, who was owed a combined $6.35 million in base salary over the final two seasons of his contract. He has 25 starts in two seasons with Buffalo, and can play both cornerback and safety.

The Bills were about $9.7 million under the cap after releasing high-priced defensive end Mario Williams, offensive lineman Kraig Urbik and running back Boobie Dixon on Tuesday.

Bills Release Mario Williams with Two Years Left On Contract

Mario Williams

The Bills made some waves today, releasing former first overall pick Mario Williams, who was with Buffalo for four seasons.

SB Nation reports that Williams didn’t see eye to eye with new head coach Rex Ryan, which is part of the reason he was released.

During the season, the pass rusher was vocal about his unhappiness with Ryan’s scheme. The Bills went from the leading the league in 2014 with 54 sacks to dropping all the way to No. 31 with only 21 sacks in their first year under Ryan. Williams, who put up three consecutive double-digit sack seasons, had just five sacks in 2015. The year before, he led the team with a career-high 14.5 sacks.

While Williams has excelled as a pass rusher ever since the Houston Texans selected him with the first overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, he was given a lot more responsibility this season in Ryan’s complicated scheme. Not only were his sack numbers down from previous years, but he recorded just 19 tackles in 15 games and didn’t look as solid in run support as he had in the past.

Williams had two years left on a six-year, $96 million contract, and even before Ryan came in and took over the Bills this past offseason, he was considered a potential cap casualty. After his disappointing season, his release was considered only a matter of time.

Bills Restructure Deal for TE Charles Clay

Charles Clay

Mike Rodak of ESPN reports the Bills have restructured deal for contract of 27-year-old tight end Charles Clay to create cap space.

Rodak says that the deal will basically convert Clay’s $10M roster bonus into a signing bonus. Last season had 51 catches for 528 yards and three touchdowns.

In his five seasons Clay has 212 catches for 2,337 yards with 17 touchdowns.

Report: LeSean McCoy’s meeting with District Attorney Canceled

LeSean McCoy

Bills running back LeSean McCoy’s scheduled meeting on Tuesday with Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams has been canceled Mark Schwarz of ESPN reports.

CSNPhilly.com, which first reported the cancellation of the meeting, reported that McCoy’s representatives weren’t happy that the scheduled meeting had been leaked to the media.

Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police president John McNesby, told by CSNPhilly.com that the meeting was canceled, said: “If that’s not special treatment, what is?”

“To have a DA personally meet with a potential defendant or his lawyer before being charged is bizarre,” McNesby told CSNPhilly.com.

Schwarz reported earlier Tuesday that the district attorney’s office did not anticipate a decision Tuesday on potential charges for McCoy.

The Philadelphia police department confirmed Feb. 9, after turning over the case to the district attorney’s office, that they did not interview McCoy or the three other suspects in a Feb. 7 bar fight that led to two off-duty police officers being treated for injuries.

Fortunato “Fred” Perri, the attorney for Philadelphia police officer Darnell Jessie, told ESPN’s John Barr this week that, “the evidence clearly shows that the off-duty officers were the victims of a violent assault and suffered serious, permanent injuries,” adding that Jessie suffered “scarring” and is being treated by a neurologist.

McCoy’s Attorney Claims Bills Running Back Did Nothing Wrong in Nightclub Brawl

LeSean McCoy

An attorney for Bills running back LeSean McCoy told Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News Wednesday that his client “did nothing wrong” in the Feb. 7 nightclub brawl that sent two off-duty police officers to the hospital.

As of Wednesday, no charges had been filed in the incident, which also involved three other men who were with McCoy and a third off-duty police officer.

“We continue to investigate,” Cameron Kline, a spokesman for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, told The News on Wednesday.

However, a source close to the investigation later told The News that the DA’s office would likely hold a news conference to share its findings in the case on Thursday, “Friday at the latest.” It was unclear if that also meant arrest warrants would be issued. If so, according to another source close to the situation, anyone charged would be instructed to turn himself in.

“We’re awaiting a decision by the DA’s office,” said Dennis Cogan, one of two Philadelphia-based criminal defense attorneys representing McCoy. “We trust that they are really taking time to consider all the surrounding circumstances. But I’m here to say and I’m telling you that McCoy did nothing wrong, nothing wrong. And he was sober. The questions will have to be asked about the conditions of other people.”

Said Larry Krasner, McCoy’s other criminal defense attorney, “The last information we had from the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office came (Feb. 11) and it was that there would be nothing before this Wednesday (Feb. 17), which has come and gone. So we look forward to hearing more information about this increasingly lengthy investigation.”

The snail’s pace of the investigation into the fight that took place at Recess Lounge – a private, after-hours social club – has raised eyebrows in legal and law-enforcement circles.

“It’s truly extraordinary to have this kind of a delay in this kind of case,” a source close to the situation told The News. “It’s not a six-month investigation where there’s wiretaps and surveillance and confidential informants placed inside of a drug organization. This is, essentially, a simple bar fight. And it raises all sorts of questions about the extent to which the prosecutor’s office is confident in the information that’s been provided them.”

Grant From Late Bills Owner Ralph Wilson to Help Projects at Pro Football HOF

hof-busts_crop_north

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has a received a $2.5 million grant from the foundation established by late Bills owner Ralph Wilson, the Associated Press reports.

The money will go toward funding a variety of programs and projects, including a holographic theater experience. Also, $1 million will be set aside to create an endowment fund.

Wilson was inducted into the hall in 2009. He died in March 2014.

The grant was presented on Wednesday by Mary Owen, Wilson’s niece and member of the hall of fame’s advisory committee.

In 2012, Wilson provided the hall a $2.5 million gift to fund what is now called Ralph Wilson, Jr. Pro Football Research and Preservation Center. It features an archive that includes more than 30 million pages of documents and five million photographic images.

Decision Not Expected Today in Possible McCoy Arrest

No decision on a possible arrest warrant for Bills running back LeSean McCoy is expected Thursday, a high-ranking Philadelphia police official told Mark Schwarz of ESPN.

McCoy is part of an investigation into an alleged nightclub assault against off-duty police officers that occurred Sunday. The official told ESPN that the district attorney’s office wanted to be thorough before determining possible charges.

Philadelphia station WPVI reported Wednesday that investigators recommended McCoy be one of the individuals charged with aggravated assault. A Philadelphia police official told Schwarz that McCoy was an active participant in the incident.

A lawyer for McCoy told Outside The Lines’ John Barr on Tuesday that his client will turn himself in if he is charged.

On Thursday, Jack McMahon told ESPN he had withdrawn as McCoy’s attorney. McMahon said he informed the district attorney’s office that McCoy would instead be represented by Philadelphia attorney Larry Krasner, who has not responded to requests for comment.

A source close to the investigation told ESPN that the off-duty police officers will face no internal disciplinary charges as a result of the alleged incident.

Philadelphia’s district attorney’s office said Tuesday that it has received the case from police and is reviewing it for potential charges.

A statement released Monday by Philadelphia police said that two off-duty officers, both 40-year-old black men and members of the city’s police department, were injured in a nightclub fight with four black men, ages 26 through 30, around 2:45 a.m. Sunday. CSNPhilly.com reported that a third off-duty officer was also involved in the fight.